POLISH ARMY MIDDLE EAST 1941-1943 (E 15683) The Women's Auxiliary Service of the Polish Army in the Middle East was composed of women and girls who were imprisoned in the Soviet Gulag after the German-Soviet Invasion of Poland and were released after signing of the Sikorski -Mayski Agreement in 1941. Practically all of them have tragic stories to tell of privation and suffering. Many of them have lost touch with their families.
Kadra 1 szwadronu 5 Brygady Wileńskiej AK. Podlasie, lato 1945 r. Stoją od lewej: NN „Chmiel", por. Zygmunt Błażejewicz „Zygmunt", NN, ppor. Lucjan Minkiewicz „Wiktor"; z lewej pochylony sierż. Zygmunt Kuczyński „Kruk"; siedzą: Alicja Trojanowska „Krystyna", NN.
Władysław Anders (1892-1970) was a General in the Polish Army and later a politician with the Polish government-in-exile in London. He was in command of a cavalry brigade at the time of the outbreak of World War II, but was forced to retreat. During the fighting and retreat, he was wounded and was later taken prisoner and jailed by Soviet forces. After the attack on the Soviet Union by Germany on June 22, 1941, Anders was released to form a new Polish Army to fight with the Red Army.