Warsaw: pre-WWII

16 Piny74 Obserwujący
View towards Castle Square from the corner of the street Trębacka, before 1930,

View towards Castle Square from the corner of the street Trębacka, before 1930,

The perspective in the direction of Castle Square, about 1930

The perspective in the direction of Castle Square, about 1930

Postcard from 1920 of Kościół Wizytek (Church of the Visitation) in Warsaw. The church survived WWII intact.

Postcard from 1920 of Kościół Wizytek (Church of the Visitation) in Warsaw. The church survived WWII intact.

The orphanage in Warsaw Janusz Korczak http://www.HolocaustResearchProject.org

The orphanage in Warsaw Janusz Korczak http://www.HolocaustResearchProject.org

Marszałkowska Street postcard

Marszałkowska Street postcard

Marszałkowska Street postcard

Marszałkowska Street postcard

Napoleon Square, 1930s. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, as a result of the parcelling out of hospital lands, the look of central Warsaw changed. On what is now Plac Powstańców Warszawy, elegant multistory homes and a square were built. In 1933 the first 16-story skyscraper in Warsaw was erected – headquarters of the Prudential Insurance Company. (Photo: Franciszek Gazda)

Napoleon Square, 1930s. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, as a result of the parcelling out of hospital lands, the look of central Warsaw changed. On what is now Plac Powstańców Warszawy, elegant multistory homes and a square were built. In 1933 the first 16-story skyscraper in Warsaw was erected – headquarters of the Prudential Insurance Company. (Photo: Franciszek Gazda)

Bird’s eye view of Saxon Square, 1919. In the foreground the Saxon Garden and the former Saxon Palace. St. Alexander Nevski Church, built before World War I,  dominates the square as a symbol of Russian control of Warsaw. This gigantic building, with its golden domes and huge bell tower, and completely foreign to the city’s dominant architectural style, was dismantled shortly following Polish independence. (Photo nn)

Bird’s eye view of Saxon Square, 1919. In the foreground the Saxon Garden and the former Saxon Palace. St. Alexander Nevski Church, built before World War I, dominates the square as a symbol of Russian control of Warsaw. This gigantic building, with its golden domes and huge bell tower, and completely foreign to the city’s dominant architectural style, was dismantled shortly following Polish independence. (Photo nn)

Targowa Street, circa 1908-1910. Praga – the district occupying Warsaw’s right bank – was incorporated into the capital as early as 1791, yet for the next 100 years was considered by most Varsovians to be a suburb that was different, impoverished and of little interest. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Ulica Targowa, Praga’s main street,  changed its look: a large square and widened

Targowa Street, circa 1908-1910. Praga – the district occupying Warsaw’s right bank – was incorporated into the capital as early as 1791, yet for the next 100 years was considered by most Varsovians to be a suburb that was different, impoverished and of little interest. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, Ulica Targowa, Praga’s main street, changed its look: a large square and widened

Marszałkowska Street circa 1912 – view toward Church of the Saviour. Photograph shows buildings once characteristic of central Warsaw in years past. Before World War II this main street, the city’s busiest, was home to many well-known firms and banks, elegant shops, cinemas and restaurants. (Photo from A.J Ostrowski Publishing album)

Marszałkowska Street circa 1912 – view toward Church of the Saviour. Photograph shows buildings once characteristic of central Warsaw in years past. Before World War II this main street, the city’s busiest, was home to many well-known firms and banks, elegant shops, cinemas and restaurants. (Photo from A.J Ostrowski Publishing album)


Więcej pomysłów
Janusz Korczak with children in Mezenin

Janusz Korczak with children in Mezenin

the doctor, Janusz Korczak

the doctor, Janusz Korczak

Wielka Synagoga. Dzisiaj Plac Bankowy

Wielka Synagoga. Dzisiaj Plac Bankowy

✽   study for church  -  richard phene spiers  -  1887 -   royal academy

✽ study for church - richard phene spiers - 1887 - royal academy

Canaletto: Rome: The Pantheon - insieme

Canaletto: Rome: The Pantheon - insieme

.
Berehovo / Beregszász Synagogue

Berehovo / Beregszász Synagogue

A Jewish Temple in Italy

A Jewish Temple in Italy

Canaletto, Venetian, 1697 - 1768 (Thyssen Museum)

Canaletto, Venetian, 1697 - 1768 (Thyssen Museum)

All sizes | St. Paul's Cathedral: West elevation | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

All sizes | St. Paul's Cathedral: West elevation | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pinterest
Szukaj