Brandenburg (Germany), Potsdam, probably engraved by Gottfried Spiller, about Formerly in the collection of Jerome Strauss (S H. The Corning Museum of Glass gift of The Ruth Bryan Strauss Memorial Foundation).
English and European Ceramics and Glass. A Johann Kunckel ruby glass c.1680, set into 19th Continental silver mounts of angel masks and mythical beasts, the glass removable from the base, 18.5cm overall. Johann Kunckel (c.1630-1703) was the chemist and alchemist credited with the development of ruby glass coloured by gold prior to 1679, as mentioned in the first edition of Ars Vitraria.
A rare Beilby enamelled wine glass c.1765, decorated in white with four floral garlands, probably by Mary Beilby, raised on a plain stem above a folded foot, 14cm. Cf. J. Rush, A Beilby Odyssey, p.60, pl.18 for a glass with the same design raised on an opaque twist stem. It is extremely unusual to find a Beilby glass raised on a plain stem.